Friday, July 11, 2008

Family Day Care Home Information for Stay at Home Moms, Homeschooling Moms, and Working Moms

My Old Family Day Care Home and Information

I think this is still stuff that home school moms of toddlers and preschoolers might find useful. Also useful Information for anyone that might want to start their own Family Day Care home, Or even Working moms that might want to find a good Family Day Care Home

After number 3 child was born and it became very difficult to be a full time mom and full time special ed. teacher, I decided I would leave teaching and stay at home. That was back in 1998. Finances were still tight so I decided while I was at home I would watch mine and a few others. Laws for in home Family Day Cares vary wildly from county to county just not state to state. For those that might not know what I mean by a Family Day Care Home, that is basically a daycare that someone sets up in their own home as opposed to a Day Care Center. It is a very regulated small home business. Actually the way the law use to read in my county (and I will assume it is still the same today as it was 10 years ago). Is that anyone who cares for a child not related to them in their home on a regular bases for pay needs to have a home day care license.

Now as I said the laws vary. At the time I did home day care the age of the youngest child that you watched determined the number of children you were allowed to watch. In my case, since I was watching a little guy under the age of one, I was allowed to watch a total of 5 under the age of 5 and then up to 5 after school age children for a maximum total of 10. I never watched that many. I basically watched my youngest, and 3 other little guys on a regular basis, which left me 2 drop-in spaces that were filled when someone needed me on an irregular bases and then of course I watched my 2 older children.

The license you get actually is for the house you live in. When you move it doesn't transfer as the new house you move to might not meet the licensing standards.

You need so much space. In most cases you need to own your home and not be renting (but I think there are ways to get around that if you get the renters permission). You need a fenced in back yard. If you have a pool or pond it has to be completely gated. you must have electrically wired smoke detectors not battery operated ones. You have to be able to gate off your kitchen. If you have stairs you have to have a gate not only on the top but also the bottom. The list goes on and on. As I said there are state laws but also county laws that vary from county to county. So this is just my county. Anyway it can cost a lot of money to just get your home ready. In addition you have to attend so many classes such as classes on childcare, classes on nutrition, classes on child development etc. It didn't matter that I had a BS Teaching Degree and was certified to teach K through 12. They make you jump through a lot of hoops.

I had a home daycare from '98 till 2001 when we moved. I actually netted more money doing home day care than what I was bringing home as a teacher . When I was teaching I was having to pay for care for my 3 children.

Anyway that is what I did. Here is a link to my Old Home Daycare site. It has lots of lesson plans and things for toddlers and preschoolers. It has a sample of my old Home Day Care handbook that I gave to all my parents on my policies and practices. It has a sample of my Home Daycare Contract. It has samples of my Day Care meal plans. I though my old site was very informative. I think some of the Info could be used by home schooling moms and those who are thinking of maybe starting their own home day care.

I put up this site back when I was using another internet provider. I just assumed that when I switched providers it would be taken down, however they left it up. But because I changed providers I have no access to it anymore to update or change it. Someone told me that I could call the company and have it removed but I figured why bother there is only I think useful info on there. My kids were little back then. What a difference 10 years makes.

Anyway here is the link
Deana's Family Day Care Home Website

No comments: